Monday, September 8, 2008

runny cookies

On sunday I decided to try out my aunt anne's peanut butter cookie recepie from an old cookbook i swiped from my mom. The recepie called for a cup of butter. Well I didn't have any butter, or margarine, but what I did have was the "I can't believe it's not butter". And I had a big tub of it. So after consulting with my sister Alanna, we concluded that maybe it would maybe work. So I tried it. The recepie said it would make lots of cookies. It probably would've except that the butter substitute didn't work. The first batch took about a half hour to cook as it was too runny, then it got crispy by the time it turned brown. I decided to "tweak" the recepie and add an unmeasurable amount of flour. Well I decided that since I added flour to firm it up a bit, I should probably add some sugar so it still tastes good. So.... twelve minutes later, a halfway decent cookie came out of the oven. Aaron test tasted them and said they didn't really taste very peanutbuttery anymore.
Finally I decided to do a third batch. This time the dough looked REALLY iffy. Actually, the oil from my butter substitute started pooling in the middle of the dough. I still tried to cook them..... but unbeknownst to me Jenna turned off the oven, so they sat in there for ten minutes before I noticed. By then they looked like foreign little globs sitting on my cooking stone. After that I threw in the towel and quit. I dumped the rest of the dough.
I decided that all that effort I put into making those darn cookies ( I had to stop halfway through because I was short a half a cup of flour and had to run to the grocery store to get some more) was so not worth it. Maybe I just shouldn't try to bake on a Sunday anymore.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like quite the adventure, Megan! haha!