Thursday, August 4, 2011

2lbs, 11 oz, and 73 Years Ago

The lady in this picture behind me told me a story while we were waiting for the parade to start. She started out by commenting on how amazing it is that we all start out so small (I'd had Vivian with me). Then she said that she was born at 7 months gestation instead of 9 months. That alone to me spoke volumes, as a baby born at 7 months in this day and age isn't always guaranteed to do well, and 73 years ago.... amazing. She said that when she was born she was 2 lbs and 11 inches long, not even a whole foot long! The doctor told her parents that she probably wouldn't make it through the first couple of days. Well, her dad got creative and made a homemade incubator out of a box, a plastic cover, hot water bottles that he put under it and rotated, and a light bulb to keep the inside warmer. I guess they took turns feeding her with an eye dropper, and somehow she made it. A fighter, who lived to tell the tale of her birth. :) Just thought I'd share the story that I heard and still think about every time I look at my Vivian. :)

No comments: