Thursday, September 1, 2011

Starting September

I can't believe September is already here! The trees are changing color, and fall is in the air. School starts in two days, and with that brings a big change to our household. My Jenna is going to kindergarten this year. She'll be gone all day, every day. I'm excited for her to go and spread her wings and begin to figure out who she is, and what she loves. She'll learn her letters, and how to put them together to make words. She'll learn how to count to 100, and maybe even to add and read. I compare her to a sponge, she's going to just soak up all the new information. :) She'll probably fall in love with her teacher, and make many new friends. It's the first step to her beginning to learn about the world around us. She's super excited to go and learn. I'm excited for her, really I am, but at the same time my heart aches just a little at the thought. She'll be gone all day M-F, starting at 7:30 and coming home in the afternoon. I'm going to miss her alot. She's a bright spot in my every day routine with her funny little antics. Her imagination is so vivid, I hope that nothing ever stops her from dreaming. When she was little she'd wear her dress up clothes all day long, being princesses, and queens, and beautiful girls. Or playing dolls and barbies in her room with her brothers.  I'm going to lock those images in my heart and pull them out when I'm missing her while she's gone to tide me through until she hops off that big yellow bus at home again.

It's hard to explain how I feel. For one, I sure don't feel old enough to have a little girl starting school! I'll be 29 next year, and I swear my mom was just 29 last year! Honest! It feels to me as if she was just born, but that was 5 and a 1/2 years ago already. She's grown up into such a fun, outgoing, happy little girl, and I feel as if I have done a good job helping her start the base of who she will one day be. I know there will be times when I'm sure she'll be teased about something or other ( although I really hope not!), and I won't be there to comfort her if she's sad. I like to think that she knows that no matter what she's a beautiful person, inside and out. 

I'm sure her brothers are going to miss her too, she's so good at coming up with things for all of them to do together.  It's sure going to be alot quieter without her here all day. They'll probably be a little lost for a while, but they are so good at being buddies that it will probably just bring them closer.

So that day next week when that big yellow bus comes rolling down the street, I'll put a brave smile on my face for my little girl and help her onto the bus which will then bring her to begin the new chapter in her life. But when it drives away with her on it, don't be surprised if I shed a few tears. I am allowed after all, I'm a mom. :) And I'll have a smile in place again for when she comes home, and I'll sit with an open ear to listen to her new adventures.

Ps. I brought her to the ER this morning, she's got a UTI. It was an early start for both of us today, we were up at 4:30. She's on an antibiotic though and hopefully she starts feeling better soon!

No comments: