Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My 5 Year Old

It seems crazy to me to think my little girl is old enough to go to Kindergarten in the fall. We went and registered her last week, and it hit me kind of funny. She's gone to preschool for the past year, but it's not the same. She's only gone for half the day, and only four days a week. It's not like "real" school to me. It feels different. I'm excited for her to go, because I know she is going to absolutely LOVE it. She thrives on learning, and soaks it all in like a sponge. She'll think it's great. But at the same time, I'm not ready to send her out into the world and have someone else see her more than I do. Not quite ready for her to begin growing up and loosing that sweet innocence that seems to disappear somewhere between kindergarten and high school. Part of me wants to just sit and hug her tight and never let her go.
But then, you realize that at some point you do have to let go. Let her go to discover her wings and to learn how to fly. Discover who she really is, and what she wants to be.

But for now, I have this one last summer where she will still be "all mine." A summer to enjoy her before she begins a new journey. One where I can't be there all the time. So I'm going to soak up and cherish my Jenna this summer. And I'm going to hold those memories in my heart when she is gone all day at school in the fall. It'll be different, but it will be ok. We'll be fine. :) Probably Jenna more so than her mom. :)

1 comment:

Aleena said...

I feel the same way, Megan!