Monday, March 21, 2011

Advice Please!

I've thought about this for a long time, and always said "Oh, I'd NEVER do that!" I had NO desire to! But now..... now the idea of switching to cloth diapers kind of appeals to me. A few of my friends either use them, or have tried them, and nobody I know who uses them doesn't love them.  I talked to Aaron about it, and at first he said no.way. BUT.... then we went visiting to a friends house who uses cloth diapers and he was kind of blown out of the water. He was thinking the old fashioned cloth diapers. The ones with the pins and the plastic coverings. We were definitely influenced by how simple it all seemed. So I thought about it over the weekend, and tentatively decided that I'd like to try it. Especially now that Aaron is on board  now too.I'd like to begin starting in June when this new baby makes his/her arrival, or before, with Logan. Depends I guess on when we feel like we are ready.

  I am kind of excited, but nervous at the same time. It'd be a good time to start though, with a new baby. Especially when I've been hearing through the grapevine that diapers are going to be going up about 7 cents a diaper. If I did my math right, that's almost eight dollars more per box. That adds up, and come June, we'll have two in diapers instead of one. So I'm taking a deep breath, and starting my search to becoming a cloth diaper fan.

So my question to you cloth diaper mothers out there is this: Where does one even begin? There is ALOT of information out there. What kind do you use and prefer? I am guessing that this question is kind of a personal preference on what works best for you and your baby, as everyone is unique and different. But, I still would like to know. And how do you get started? Figure out what and how much you need?  I have questions! :) I'm still going to be doing alot of reading up on this for a while, I'm not going to just make this decision and start the next day. I know it doesn't work like that. Thank goodness for the Internet! In the meantime, any advice would be much appreciated and welcomed! Thanks ahead of time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend Best Bottoms from www.nickisdiapers.com. They are SO easy for beginners, and less expensive than many other brands. They are a one size diaper, so they would fit both kids. Check them out! There are instructions on the website.

Jill - A Farmer's Wife said...

My s-i-l Trisha Pietila has done a TON of research of cloth diapers and she's the one who got me started. (She currently uses Thirsties covers with a prefold diaper folded inside or bumGenius All-In-One diapers.) I initially used the old fashioned kind with something called a Snappi instead of pins and I didn't mind them. Vern outgrew the diapers I had, though, so I've since switched to using my bumGenius All-In-One Pocket diapers all the time. They have velcro tabs for fastening and snaps to adjust how big the diaper is so you can use them from newborn to potty training. I initially bought 6 of them because I was using the other kind too, but bought more six months ago. I have 12 total and that gets me through 2-3 days with a 14-month old. My sis Janelle had 3 kids (the oldest is now potty trained) in bumGenius diapers, has 21 diapers total, and washes them every day. She said it's enough to get through the day with maybe one extra per kid. (Her diapers are a year old and have held up really well despite daily washings.) I ordered mine through kellyscloset.com and they were $17 per diaper six months ago. I'm sure you could find deals if you comparison shop though. I haven't used any other kind so I can't compare but I really do like my bumGenius and they had the best reviews when I researched cloth diapers. I think I have a couple of posts about cloth diapers on my blog, too. They are titled Diaper Duty (posted March 25, 2010) and Cloth Diapers (posted Aug 10, 2009).