Tuesday, October 21, 2008

late night ER visits

I wonder why whenever one of my kids gets sick, I immediatly wonder what I did wrong. Never mind that maybe it is just nature, and not a test on what kind of mother I am. Same thing popped into my head last night when I got home from work. Aaron was just pulling the kids out of the tub as I was walking into the door. He told me to look at Travis's scrotum that it was swollen. I did look and indeed it was swollen and hard. It didn't seem to be bothering him, but nonetheless it wasn't normal.
I've never had a boy, so all of their anatomy is new too me, I'm still learning whats normal. But his dad thank goodness had the thought that it was a hernia. So, thank goodness for the internet, I did some research on hernias. Travis had all of the symtoms. From what side they are usually on, to what they look and feel like. I also found out that if there is a history of hernia's in the family boy's are more likely to develop one. They do run in Aaron's family. Another notch in my worry belt. So I called Janet, and she said she'd bring him to the ER, as he might need surgery if it was strangulated. (I found out there are several diff. types of hernias) So, at nine thirty at night, I took my 13 mo. old son to the hospital.
It's so hard being in a new place. It means you have to find new EVERYTHING. From grocery stores to a hospital and dr. We went right here in town as it is only a few blocks away from our place. We were in the waiting room, and there were people coughing all over the place, and Travis isn't acting sick at all. The though kept crossing my mind that he's going to catch influenza or a bad cold just from the waiting room! to top that off, some guy with his sick little boy ( he had a nasty whooping cough of sorts) kept wanting to bring his son over to play with Travis. Would it have been rude of me to say, excuse me, but could you please not come near us? I'd rather my son not catch what your son has.
Finally after an hour of the waiting room, we were able to register to be seen in the E.R. That took all of two mintues, and we were brought to an express care room. Needless to say, it was NOT express care. It took an hour to see the nurse, then a half an hour to see the P.A., who then proceeded to say yes, it's a hernia, let me go get the real dr. Who then came in and said it might not be a hernia, but a hydrocele. They decided to do an ultrasound. By this time I gave up on gettin home by midnight, as is was ten to.
So, we waited and waited and waited and waited for the darn utlrasound tech to come in. And when he did finally show up ( an hour later at one a.m.) all he could do was grumble about how he was still doing ultrasounds! I was not impressed. He just couldn't stop complaining about how he was there til all hours of the morning the night before. Then to top it off, halfway through the ultrasound, the machine died, and Travis decided to pee all over himself. Grrrrr!!!!!
We somehow made it through the ultrasound portion of the evening, and even was able to catch a few zz's on the cot they call a bed. At two a.m I woke up and realized we were still there. It was 2:30 by the time we got the ultrasound results, and they still weren't one hundred percent sure what it was. They told me " we think" it's a hydrocele. So, we now have a surgical consult on Thursday. We'll see I guess. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: