Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Ups and Downs of Vacation

Well.... where to even start. I guess I'll start by saying we are back at home after a fun crazy week with no schedule.
Christmas was fun. We didn't get to see all of our family which was a bummer, but Missy and Ted had family plans with Ted's family, and Kevin and Dianne went to her mom's in MN for Christmas. I guess we'll just have to catch them next time. :)

We left Tues night after I got off of work, so we pulled into town around 12:30 a.m. On the way up Aars ran over a garbage bag that he didn't see on the road. We thought nothing of it til our automatic sliding door on the van would no longer work, and some security light kept coming on in the van. He thinks the garbage bag took out some kind of wire or sensor under the van. It also keeps resetting our trip mileage every time the van starts which is a major pain as our gas gage doesn't work and we keep track of how much gas we have by mileage. So I guess we'll have to have it looked at.

We spent Christmas Eve at my mom's. Dinner was spectacular. That says it all. :) Everyone was home for Christmas. So, somehow we squeezed 10 adults and 7 kids ( two in pack n plays) into my mom and dads three bedroom house. It made for some interesting sleeping spots. I think some of my younger sisters ended up in the laundry room on the floor.

Christmas morning, fun and chaotic describes it. Travis wasn't feeling good, but other than that everyone was fired up off of what they got. Jenna called up to the ceiling to thank Santa Claus for her presents. She was slightly confused the next few days when there were no more presents under the tree to open. We just hung out at my mom's all day. Aaron got some quality hunting time in, and we went to church on Christmas night.

Friday after Christmas I brought Travis to the walk in clinic at the hospital. He had another ear infection, but this time it was really bad and was draining. The Dr. I saw kind of drove me nuts. He asked if we had any kind of drops for his ear. I told him yes, told him what kind, and that we haven't used them in seven months. He proceeded to ignore my last comment and said "Stop using the ear drops!" Then to bug me more ( this Dr. has a reputation of being kind of condescending) he wrote on the discharge notes to stop using drops even though we told him we weren't using any. But in the end we got the antibiotic Travis needed and he is now feeling much better. I hope this isn't the start of another string of ear infections like he had last winter though. If so, we will be seriously considering tubes.

The rest of the weekend we spent at Pete and Janet's where Jenna and Travis both enjoyed themselves, and went for a short snowmobile ride with their dad. We came home Mon. about forty five minutes before I had to go to work. I work all but Thursday this week, but only work two days next week, so i will just suck it up and not complain. :) Hope everyone else is enjoying the quiet after Christmas like we are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan, I come through every week or so and catch up on blogs...sorry about your van troubles. I feel for you, you know we've had our share of fun w/ vehicles....and did you have that very unpleasant Dr. at Keweenaw? he's a drag. Wishing you a happy healthy New Year! We do have so much to be thankful for even though "some days are diamonds, some are rocks." love, juli