Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Can I Rewind?

Can I rewind today? Back to the part where I was really excited for my kids to come home after being gone all week?
Loretta brought Jenna and Travis back home from up at my mom's this afternoon, and it was so fun to see how pumped Travis was to see us. He giggled the whole way into the house he was so fired up. They were even more excited to go to the park with Loretta when I brought Logan to his one week checkup at the hospital. When I called home to let them know Logan is a bit jaundiced and we were waiting on billiruben levels, Aaron told me Travis knocked his front teeth in on the slide outside, and they looked really bad. I told the nurses, they got a rush on the levels ( it was a 17, so we need to go back again tomorrow to get it re-checked. What a pain. They also are concerned about his wt, he was 8 lb 3 oz. I say baloney, he's fine. But they want a re-weigh on Friday, so we'll go to keep them happy)

But back to the teeth. I flew home from the hosp, and called the pediatric dentist we have around here. I'm so thankful for that cause she was great. We rushed there as soon as we could, and they took a look at his teeth. We were given two options, neither of them super great. The first was to leave them, even though one is broken right off the root, and hope they don't get infected and wreck his adult teeth. The second, was to pull them because they look pretty bad, and for sure save his adult teeth. The dentist said if it was her son, she would just pull them, as hard as it is. She felt SO bad for us because either way it's awful. We decided that since he will loose the little teeth anyways (even though not for another six years), we'd take the safer rt. and have them pulled. So, we have an appt for 7:30 a.m. tomorrow. She ordered Valium to keep him totally calm so it'll hopefully go better. He'll look so different. I'm so sad. He's got such a beautiful smile, and it's going to take some getting used to when he has no front teeth.


My sister Emma had her two front teeth pulled out when she was about the same age, and her adult teeth grew in perfectly. And we thought she was just as cute toothless then as she is now, with all front teeth grown in. So, hopefully I can keep myself together in the morning for my little boy, and hopefully the medication works. It didn't for Emma ( guess one in about a hundred or so are immune to the vallium, and Emma was that one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that's not the case with Travis). So, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I just wish I could rewind and prevent it from happening in the first place.

9 comments:

Aleena said...

I can't look at those pictures, poor little guy, good luck, hope all goes well!

Loretta Marie said...

i cried!!! I seriously feel just terrible!!!

Sharyn said...

oh, the honey. I agree - you need a rewind.

I just thought I'd share that I was missing my front teeth for a couple years also - I knocked one out on an end table at the babysitters.

Hugs!!! And hang in there!

Sarah said...

Oooh, Travis... Poor little guy! I hope everything goes good in the morning and that the babe's billi goes down, too!

You have your plate full right now, Megs, hang in there!

Megan said...

Loretta- It's not your fault! It could've happed if Aaron or I was there too!

Lorz said...

Oh, poor guy! It's amazing that doesn't happen more often with kids. Our godson lost one and a half front teeth when he was one- we say he looks tough, like a hockey player, when he smiles. :)Kids are tough- remember that. Hugs and kisses to Travis.

amy i said...

What a man-grinning even though it looks so painful. Rewind would be nice....Reality isn't all it's cracked up to be some days!

Anna said...

Ouch! Poor li'l dude. I hate anything mouth related, yuck. Hope all goes well for him as well as Logan later this week!

Julie L said...

oh- poor honey.... and poor you! A definate rewind is in order... if only it was that easy, huh.