Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fair Weather

Today was all about making the most of a big inconvenience. The college is going around replacing all of the ancient hot water heaters with new ones, and ours was on the list to be done today. So, we set the alarm for six thirty, and by seven o'clock the workers were antsy to get in and start working. We were packed for the lake and out of the house by seven thirty a.m.

First stop on our list for the day was breakfast at Big Boy. Which was really good. We ate off their breakfast buffet because the kids could eat their bkfst for free than. It was a good deal.

Next stop was the lake. We headed away from the real local beaches and found one about ten or fifteen minutes from where we live. It's actually a road side park. We hauled the grill, a cooler of food, the pack'n'play, two camping chairs, a sleeping bag and blanket and towels, and the double stroller down to the beach ( we had to go down a long set of stairs to reach the lake from the road) and were all set up and ready for the heat by nine thirty. And the heat came. It was HOT, and the lake was BEAUTIFUL. I could feel the heat from the sun, so I made sure to stay on top of the kids sunscreen. We did pretty good. Jenna and Aaron got a slight sunburn, and Travis, Logan and I none. The lake was absolutely where I wanted to be on a ninety degree day. The kids had a blast, and we managed to stay cool. Aaron and I took turns playing with the kids and reading our books. It was AWESOME. I don't mind bragging because it was. :) We had hot dogs on the grill for lunch and sandy string cheese for a snack. As we were sitting by the lake, I took a look down the beach and thought that this is freedom. People were wading in the water, floating on tubes, suntanning on their towels, throwing a Frisbee for the dog, and someone had a radio going. It made me thankful to live in America today.

Next stop was Wendy's dollar menu for supper, and off to the county fair. Being at the fair wasn't as fun as I remember it being when I was a kid. I must be getting old. I always wondered why my mom was never too pumped off the fair. Now I know. Most of the rides are way overpriced ( Today was the first day, so it was a good deal. A Buck a ticket, one ticket per ride as opposed to three) The workers are all missing half of their teeth, greasy and looking in need of a good shower, and look like they hate their job. I went on some little train ride for kids with Jenna ( we tried to get Travis to go on many rides, but he was WAY to nervous.), the merry go round- used to be my favorite, but tonight it seemed to go rather fast......, and the Ferris wheel. I got nervous on the Ferris wheel! Who gets nervous on the Ferris wheel? Jenna was lifting her hands in the air roller coaster style on the way down, where as I hardley dared wave at Aaron down on the ground! I came to the conclusion that I'm getting old.

Jenna fed some little lama's, pet horses, and laughed at the grunting pigs. Travis bawled through the entire horse, cow, and pig barns. He was scared of EVERYTHING tonight. If anyone wants to know how the fair was, don't ask Travis. He probably would have rather stayed home. Jenna on the other hand, had a blast.

All in all, it turned out to be a pretty darn good day. I'm hoping for a smaller repeat tomorrow. It is supposed to be hot again, and I don't work til six. See you at the lake!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to meet you at the beach, say nine in Canada!!!
Miss you tons.
XOXO~ Jennie

Lorz said...

I thought for sure your story was going to end with your home being destroyed by the water heater guys and you had no hot water. PHEW!!! I love a happy story! I would love to be on The Lake today- and I could be- Davin's heading up...so tempting...