Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Dream of Mine

It's always a been a dream of mine to become a photographer, so I decided that I am going to try and fulfill that dream. I applied to N** down here for starting next winter to go to school to earn my bachelors degree in photography. I don't know if it's even a four year degree, but I'll take all the classes they offer! I'm kind of excited about it, and nervous at the same time. I'll only take a class or two to begin with, and then go full time when Aars is done. I have been thinking of it alot lately, and the more I think about it, the more I want to do it. He told me yesterday to go for it, so I acted on my impulse and sent my application in online. Now to call my high school, and previous colleges I attended for my transcripts, and see if I can fill out a fafsa for next semester.... So.... here we go! I'm excited to learn the ins and outs of photography, and hope to own my own business someday. It's something I can take with me where ever we are, and can keep me at home while earning an extra income. I'm a little nervous how it'll work out with our kids when we're both going to school, but I'm sure something will work out by then. :) Mostly I am just excited. Have I mentioned that fact yet? ;)

9 comments:

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Megs, awesome! Yay for dreams! this is inspirational. Call me or email me anytime. I've been meaning to respond to your question.

Love, Jen

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

{i'm not meaning to sound like a knowitall or anything . . . just fun to talk about it with people who are interested!} There's a bunch of resources that are good, too . . .

Megan said...

I'll send you a jingle if you send me your phone number! And I don't think your a knowitall.... look at your pictures! I'd love to hear what you have to say. :)

Julie L. said...

I agree, yay for dreams :) .... I think school is a great idea if that's the way you want to go but to get a head start on your learning there are a ton of resources online that will give you a fantastic headstart.

Good luck!

Megan said...

where do I start!? I am fired up to begin, and am eager to learn. Any suggestions?

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Hey Megs, Julie would probably know more resources too . . .
a few freebies are www.digital-photography-school.com and www.shuttermom.com.

And books . . .like "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
I am taking the New York Institute of Photography's distance course, but there's fabulous books. too. And experiment, experiment, and experiment and read your camera manual several times.

This is inspiring me to get back to my studies.
Love, Jen

Anonymous said...

That's exciting, and I don't want to sound like I dissaprove, but I believe there are lots of smaller courses, books, and online resources on photography out there that don't require four years of college. Perhaps starting from one of those points might be a better option while your husband is still in school. That way, you can begin to learn alot without putting forth the financial committment that four years of college is going to cost you. It might also make you decide if you really need the four years of college. Remember, a bachelor's degree is going to require lots of classes that have absolutely nothing to do with photography. A lot of good photographers are self taught. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Learn what you can from other photographers and see if you need the "photography classes" Some of the greatest photographers are self taught.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're following your dreams! I know a few photographers and they are all self taught. You might want to think about this before you jump right into classes...