Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I do NOT love my vacuum

I used to like my vacuum.... it's lasted me five years. It's a dirt devil bag less, and for the most part it's been a good vacuum. I am not so pumped on emptying the canister and cleaning out the filter however. The dust flying around seems to be not so good to have around. But I've dealt with it because we didn't buy it. It was given to us as a wedding gift from some of Aaron's cousins and aunts and uncles. Well within the last year it's been having issues. Not wanting to suck up things right, getting clogged over every thing ( some of them have been big, like today, when we found a sock in the hose.... no wonder it wasn't working, and I was wondering where that sock went!) and one time I even found a little nest of bugs in it. That almost made me loose my lunch. But I cleaned it out good, and even soaked it in water to kill everything.

The past few times I have used it, the hose clogs up even if I don't use it. So Aars decided to take the whole dumb thing apart today. He got lots of dust and lint and dirt out of the inside of my vacuum, but the hose still didn't work. Turns out I must've sucked up a sock and forgotten about it, because he pulled a sock out of the hose. Not just a little kid sock, but one of my socks. How did I miss that one?

Well it seemed to be working great, and I was pumped to have my decent vacuum back in working order. I promptly went downstairs and vacuumed the kids room, and started in the hallway down there when it smelled like burning rubber. So I quit vacuuming and told Aaron. By the time he got down to look at it, it'd started smoking. NOT GOOD. He brought it outside thinking maybe the belt slipped and he'd look at it. But first he went to the school to borrow a vacuum there for the night, and maybe to find a belt. I'm thinking I am about ready to pitch it into the dumpster outside, and go check out the resale shops around here for a new vacuum. They probably have one cheap. I love our St. Vincent dePaul store here. They have shoes for .74 cents, shirts for 1.94, and couches for like 60.00..... cheap! Maybe they'll have a vacuum for 5-10.00 for me. I think I'm going to go look tomorrow. And the next day, and the next. Maybe I'll just give them my number and if they get a vacuum they can call me.......

No comments: