Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Happy Birthday my little man!

As I sit here and read up on everyone else's lives going on around me, I am listening to Travis cry. He's been at it for half an hour. And as he cries, I am reminded that he will be one tomorrow. One. A whole year. Uno. Twelve months. The start of a new year. So much happens in the first year, and no matter how hard to try to remember all of it, you can't. Time doesn't slow down for you to enjoy your baby when they are still little. I can remember holding him for the first time. He was so tiny. 7 pounds 1 ounce. A bundle of joy that we knew was going to be a boy. The little miracle that we'd waited nine months for. And in that first moment that you look into that babies face, the labor pains, sciatic nerve problems, the basic being uncomfortable during the last month or two of your pregnancy are all gone. Forgotten in that moment of time.
the first time he rolled over we were so proud, sure all babies do it, but it's just so much greater when your baby does it. I often found myself saying that I can't wait til he sits up, or til he can hold his own bottle, or til he can crawl. But then I look back and think where did that year go? My baby is now pulling himself up on all the furniture, turning the radio on and off, climbing stairs and is a maniac crawler. I am constantly having to chase after him, and am worn out by the end of the day.
He popped another bottom molar today. It could explain the crabbiness and sleeplessness at night. Even though he's up all night, and up early in the morning when I really just want to crawl under my covers, I still love him with all my heart. All it takes is for him to jibber baby nonsense at me and smile and my heart melts all over again.
Jenna and I have been practicing the happy birthday song to sing to Travis when his birthday finally came. So every day she sings "Happy to you Travy man, happy to you and me!"
I still can't believe he'll be one. Where does the time go? I don't know, but I hope his next year brings him more things to explore and to learn and that he stays healthy like he is now. So, with that being said, happy birthday little man! I love you!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Auntie Jennie and Uncle Ricky also wish our little (yet not so little) Travis a happy first birthday. We love you so dearly. May you enjoy tomorrow and many, many more birthdays. Love you always.