Friday, November 14, 2008

Jump Start to Christmas

I'm in the mood for Christmas. Ever since I was a little girl, Christmas has been my favorite time of the year. I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I'm just in the mood for Christmas. I have been a bit stressed about a few things lately, and am ready for some happiness. And Christmas means happiness. Everyone is nice around the holiday season. People are smiling, and buying gifts for their families. I love the tradition that is seeped around the holiday. I remember writing to Katie back in the day where our letters were known to come sometimes twice a week, about what we would do for Christmas. I love the dinner we have, potato sausage from MN, fruit salad, green bean casserole, grandpa's flatbread, and a few other things. I look forward to that dinner every year on Christmas Eve at my mom's.
I used to wake up in the middle of the night and sneak downstairs to see what Santa brought, our gifts were always wrapped, but I'd still dig around to see who got the biggest gift. When I got to old to wake up on my own in the middle of the night, I'd set my alarm for two am and sneak down the steps, get my stocking and munch and dig. I miss doing that. :) It's different being on the other side of the spectrum, but a different kind of excitement knowing what is inside the wrapped boxes awaiting excited happy children that morning.
Different families do different traditions. My old neighbors across the street from where I grew up would wake up to gifts from Santa unwrapped. They would just have tags on the gift to let you know who got what. Some families got their gifts from Santa early on Christmas Eve and opened them that same night. But it's all tradition.
So like I said, I love the season, the mood, the traditions, the excitement.... the reason we have Christmas, church on Christmas Day night..... the whole shebang. I can't wait to go look in the woods for our Christmas tree. Even that has tradition for my family. The night we would decorate it, my mom would give us kids a new ornament that year that would go on the tree. Our tree was always a hodgepodge of homemade ornaments, to ones that were store bought or my parent's from when they were kids. It always looked like the "best tree ever." When we were done, we'd have cookies and shut off the lights and sing Christmas church songs, and enjoy our tree.
I could go on and on, but I'll save it til closer to Christmas. I am waiting til after Thanksgiving to go get the tree, and to start my shopping. Is anyone actually done with their shopping yet?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

My shopping is usually done the week before Christmas, hate to be too on time!:) I love the season as well, my husband is such a scrooge, but he is starting to get a little better now that our daughter is old enough (4) to be excited. So much fun to see the excitement on a childs face, everything is so amazing to them!