Thursday, February 5, 2009

It Won't Always Be This Way

I heard a country song on the radio the other day that really made me sit down and think. I don't know who it's by, or really what it's even called. I know the chorus says "It won't always be this way" and it's a male singer. It talks about how your kids sometimes hate it when you leave when they are little, and he sings about how some things they do won't always be this way.

So it got me to thinking about my two little joys. How sometimes at the end of the day I'm just so ready for a break from them that I just toss them into bed, tuck them in and kiss them goodnight and shut their door. No matter how much crying and bugging they do. Lately Jenna and Travis have both been wanting to "cozy me" when they go to bed. Well a couple times I just told her no, but then I heard that song. And I thought to myself, she won't always be this cute little three year old who wants to cozy before bed. Soon she'll be starting school and becoming more independent with each passing day. I'm sure there will be a day where she will be embarrassed to be with me ( i hope not though!), and then she'll be grown up, and moving away from home. So for now, I'm going to just sit down with her and cozy her. I'm going to try and cherish the little moments where she just wants to be loved by her mom.

I'm sure these years are going to fly by, and I'll miss the days where she just wanted to bau bau (rock in a chair with me) before bed. Or, she won't need me to sing her her favorite song before she goes to sleep. Travis will do the same thing. He won't need his favorite blanket to go to bed, and he won't always need me to read the same silly little book about five times in a row. He'll turn into this big teenager, and probably tower over me. He'll be asking to go hang out with the guys, and asking for the keys to the car. So I'll gladly read Go Dogs Go five times before he goes to bed next time he wants me too, and if he just wants to sit in my lap, I'm going to let him. Because "It won't always be this way".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The song is "It Won’t Be Like This for Long" By Darius Rucker. It really makes you think!