Thursday, March 26, 2009

Another Late Night E.R. Visit

Why do kids always get sick in the middle of the night? Travis woke up at twenty after twelve (a.m.) last night just bawling. NOTHING we did worked. I gave him cough medicine, because he has the same "lovely" cough that Jenna and I are blessed to have at the moment. I thought maybe his chest might be hurting or something. It didn't work. Then we noticed him digging in his ears, and saying "owie, owie!" Aaron had the suggestion that maybe he had an ear infection. At first I wasn't so sure, but put numbing drops in his ears. That didn't work for almost forty five minutes. Poor kid. He was miserable, turning his blonde little head this way and that to try and relieve the pain in his ear. Finally, his kind of slow mom decided that we better just bring him to the ER.

So, at one a.m, we packed Travis and I got some halfway decent looking clothes on ( A long sleeved t-shirt, and my paint stained sweats. I always seem to be scrubby when we go to the hosp.) and we headed out the door. I realized when we got outside, that we had the Jetta, as the van was in the shop. No biggie right? Um... the Jetta is a stick shift and I hadn't driven a stick shift vehicle in over a year. Good thing Aaron parked on a slight hill, because I couldn't figure out reverse. So that means, we slowly coasted backwards, and I figured out what shift I had to be in to make the car go.

I was relieved to see the ER waiting room pretty much empty. In my head I was thinking, good. Maybe we can be home again by three a.m. And we were. The Dr. came in right away, looked in his ears, decided that the right one looked a little red, and put him on Zithromax. By then my previously bawling kid was all smiles and full of small talk. He made me look kind of stupid for bringing him in. The medicine I loaded him up with before we left must've kicked in. Then to top that off, they gave him jump start on his antibiotic, so he was probably pretty much pain free. He jabbered a bit in his crib when we got home, but I just ignored him, and he slept til eight forty five this morning.

Today seems to be a better day. Jenna had swimming lessons ( Loretta I took pictures, just for you. :) I'll post them either tomorrow or later tonight. ) this morning. She's learning a bit. She's getting better at doing what her teacher has been teaching her for the past three weeks. So that was neat to see some improvement. She had a little incident though. She got a little too excited waiting for her turn, and took off of the steps and went under the water. I was there, along with two other parents, the teacher and the pool lifeguard, so she was only under for a few seconds. It was enough to scare her though, and I'll admit, me a bit. She took a little time out, came and sat with me for a minute, and then went back into the pool for her turn. I hope she learned a lesson sit still when it's not her turn. Probably not, but we'll see.

No comments: